Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Doctor's Appointment

I just got back from my weekly doctor's appointment. I've been trying to see a different doctor in the practice each week so that I'm familiar with them all, so this appointment was with a very nice doctor that I haven't met before. She measured my uterus and said that it's still measuring large (39.5 weeks/centimeters) and that she wondered if it was because of a good amount of amniotic fluid around the baby. She said that, because the baby was so large at the last ultrasound, she wants to do another ultrasound next week (which I already suspected) to see how much bigger she is and make sure that the measurements are right.

I asked her what her guess was as to birth weight. She said that she was surprised to see a first baby be this large, but that she would suspect between 8.5 and 9 lbs!!!! I almost fell off the table. I asked her if she thought I'd make it to 40 weeks. She said I "might." Her game plan is to wait for a couple of weeks and see if the baby descends into my pelvis more. If I've reached almost 40 weeks and she's not, they'll schedule a C-Section, assuming that she's just too big to fit. I asked about whether or not her head would fit. She said that we would take it as trial and error, meaning that if I go into labor and the baby doesn't descend - C-Section. She also hinted that if it looked like she were going to be huge, they would try to induce a little early rather than schedule a c-section automatically.

I'm pretty happy with that plan. I'd like to give Em as much of a chance to come naturally as she can, but don't want to risk her being too big and getting stuck, which could be a real possibility. So, as it stands now, I have an ultrasound and another weekly appointment scheduled for Monday. We'll take it from there! Leave it to Brad to get me pregnant with a baby ogre! Hehe!


No comments: