Friday, November 27, 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like.....

Christmas! We're decorating as I type! Well, not AS I type. I took a break. Let me play catch up.

Yesterday was Emma's first Thanksgiving. It was the best day we could have possibly asked for. Emma did GREAT on the car trip to my Aunt Claire's house in Thomson, GA. She slept for quite a while and was happy the rest of the trip. We ate great food, visited with family, and Emma got to meet her Aunt Nancy and Uncle Jim for the first time, in addition to her Great-Great Aunt Jean and Great-Great Uncle J.J. (my grandfather's brother and his wife). It was wonderful. Emma was an angel and even took a 2.5 hour nap! We brought her pack and play (which she's never actually slept in) and her miracle blanket. Let me tell you, it really IS a miracle! She was such an angel - I can't get over it.

Barbara, Mom, Grandpa, Claire, and Nancy


Brad and I - Emma was asleep!


Getting some sugar from Aunt Claire


Watching the game with the boys.


Sitting like a big girl!


She had a great trip back home and we had turkey sandwiches at Mom and Dads for dinner before heading home.

It's always been a family tradition to put up the Christmas tree and decorate on the day after Thanksgiving. As a child we always went to a Christmas tree farm and cut down a tree, a tradition that we plan to start with Emma next year when she's old enough to enjoy running around the tree farm. This year we are planning to get one more use out of the fake tree. Brad's putting it up as I speak.

I can't wait to see what Emma thinks of it once it's decorated. She loves things that light up, so I'm sure she will be fascinated. It's so amazing how differently you look at everyday things once she sees them for the first time. She's so amazing.

Nothing too exciting has gone on around here other than decorating. We're just enjoying some time with Brad home as a family.

We've got so much to be thankful for this year. As my Uncle Jim said the blessing yesterday he thanked God for the blessing of Emma. It brought me back to last Thanksgiving. I had just decided to tell the family that I was pregnant with Emma. I had my miscarriage 3 months before. I stood there last year, cautiously excited. I was thrilled to be pregnant, and terrified that I would lose her, as I did my first baby. You just never know, as I have painfully found out in the past. It's amazing to see how things can come full circle. This year has truly been a YEAR of Thanksgiving - so much more than just a day. There is no greater blessing than the blessing of a child.


1 comment:

CarolynCraddock said...

I LOVE your blog and remember vividly that feeling of being cautiously excited! I know what you mean about a year of Thanksgiving! Praise God for our little miracles! :)