Saturday, May 21, 2011

36 Weeks


36 Weeks with Emma/36 Weeks with Abby

9 months today. I'm nearing the finish line - yay!! I adore being pregnant. I love feeling a baby kick and move, adore watching my growing belly stretch, and am beyond amazed daily with what a woman's body can do. I mean, do you REALIZE that it grows an entirely new ORGAN to sustain the baby??? Incredible. With that said.....I'm miserable. I can't lie.

I've reached the point where everything hurts. Parts I didn't know I had hurt. My back is in constant pain. Flipping over in the bed sometimes requires 2 people - THAT's how worn out I am. I have heartburn almost nightly. It hurts to pick Emma up out of her crib, put her on the changing table, or even into her high chair. Brad has 1 day of post-planning and then he's home for the summer so I'm SO happy! Not a minute too soon.

I had a pretty productive doctor's appointment yesterday. I saw a doctor that I really don't care for. The only other time I've seen her was the day that I found out I was miscarrying our first baby. She was insensitive, had a poor bedside manner, and was very "by the book." She was just...... a bitch. There, I said it. Having these twice a week visits though, and trying to work around other people's schedules so they can watch Emma, means that I don't really get to pick and choose who I see every time. I also know that I should have at least one visit with each doctor there because you never know who will be on call when you deliver.

Well, I still don't like her, but she was productive! We discussed my NST (non-stress test) results. Abby was looking VERY healthy. In fact, maybe TOO healthy. She wouldn't hold still and kept getting mad at the monitor, so a 20 minute test took over an hour. Little booger. She had great heart accelerations and movement, and the doctor was very happy with that. I didn't have any contractions this time, so I was happy too. She asked about my "plan" and whether or not I wanted a vaginal birth or c-section. As I think I've probably mentioned several times before, I had a terrible tear with Emma. She was 9 lbs and it took 4 hours in the OR to stitch me up and, let's just say, things will never be quite the same. After discussing that with this doc, she told me that she thought that was a prime reason to get a c-section (my insurance company won't cover an "elective" c-section). She said that she wouldn't even want me to labor with a 6lb. baby, much less one "this big."

After spending a bit of time feeling my belly and the baby, she made a guess on her size. 7-7.5 lbs!!!!! ALREADY! AT 36 WEEKS!!!! Do you realize that most babies weight that much at 40 weeks?? Average for right now is around 6 lbs, if that gives you any idea. Yeah, she's gonna give my 9lb, 38 weeker a run for her money. So the doc emailed their surgery scheduler and now we wait. She said that the woman would be going back and forth with my insurance company and would likely call me sometime next week with their decision - AND likely to schedule my surgery!! I'm crossing my crossables that it works out. I know it sounds strange for me to be excited about surgery, but you just.don't.know. I'd so much rather be cut open and have Abby arrive safely than risk shoulder dystocia (google it!) or the long-term damage that I would likely suffer from having such a big baby.

Emma's been so sweet and funny lately. I honestly can't wait to see what she thinks of being a big sister. The only thing in the world that concerns me is the thought of being away from her for that long. It terrifies me. We've never been apart for a night, much less several. Our plan is for Brad to be with me in the hospital during the days, with his mother watching Emma at our house. At night, he'll go home to bathe and play with her and get her to bed. My mom will come stay with me in the hospital because I'll likely need a little help getting Abby and changing her, etc., after surgery. I think the most important thing is for Emma to be at home. Her whole life is going to change and I think it's really important for her to be in her own environment. We'll see how it goes!

I've got the nursery almost completely ready. I want to wash the curtains and the dust ruffle from the crib. I also have to wash her carseat cover, swing, and bouncy seat. Brad's already re-raised the mattress. I've washed and put away all of the newborn clothes and diapers. Emma's all settled in her big-girl room and loving it. I can hardly believe that we'll likely have a new baby girl in our arms within about 3 weeks....or less. I'm so excited!!! I can hardly wait to hold her and see who she looks like. I'm over the moon. SO in love with her already.

No comments: