Monday, February 13, 2012

Potty Training!

I haven't written about this yet, for fear of jinxing it.  Hell, I'm scared to say anything even NOW!  Emma is pretty much potty trained!  This is week 3 or 4, though I can't remember exactly.


We bought her a potty about a year ago, knowing that we'd need it "someday."  We tried twice, (once for a good 3 days, once for about a day) and were pretty unsuccessful.  She didn't seem to have the awareness that she was going at all, and would get VERY upset if she saw her prize (usually an M&M) and didn't get it.  She just wasn't ready.


And then one day, she was.  I changed a particularly nasty diaper and, whilst trying not to gag, said to her, "You know what?  We're done with this.  You're a big girl and you can use the potty now."  I put a pair of the itty bittiest panties you've ever seen (either princess, Yo Gabba, or Minnie Mouse) on her, and she did it.  I don't even think she had 1 accident that first day.  She was SO proud of herself!!  She's only had a handful of accidents at all and the ones that she has had,  have been because she was distracted.  She's clearly still learning to listen to her body.


I can't tell you how proud I am of her.  She figured it out almost instantly and there's been no turning back.  Her potty sings to her as soon as she goes, and she's thrilled with the sense of control it gives her.  She isn't trip trained - in fact, she will almost ALWAYS say "no" when you ask if she needs to go.  She knows when she needs to, and either tells me or just goes and sits.  She's such a big girl.  She also uses a toilet seat reducer ring on our toilet, though the little potty seems to have a bigger draw for her when we're home.


She has pooped several times on the potty, and has only had 1 of "those" accidents.  She often waits until after naptime and goes in her diaper before I get her up.  She's still diapered for nap and overnight, as those diapers are SOAKED when she wakes.  


I thought I'd go ahead and add a picture of her "doing the deed," as I'm sure she'll appreciate me for it someday.  HA!  Emma, if you're reading this as an adult, be sure that I wiped your little butt and washed your diapers enough times over the course of your 2.5 years to earn the right to post as many pictures of you sitting on the potty as I want to.  And I DO want to.  I will, however, spare you the picture of the first time she pooped on the potty.  Nobody wants to see that.





No comments: