Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Eve Eve

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and we've had a VERY busy week. I'm trying to remember what all has occurred since I last posted. We spent most of the last week laying low. Brad worked Monday and Tuesday and has been off since Wednesday. Emma and I are loving having her Daddy home. We've been finishing up some final Christmas shopping and just enjoying lots of time together.

On Friday we had a very special day. Brad's stepfather, Tony, had a big surprise 60th birthday party! The day started with us meeting lots of family at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We were all standing there waiting when Brad's mom and Tony walked in - he was SO surprised! His sisters flew in from around the country (and even Mexico!) to be there. It was very special. We had a great lunch. Emma mostly napped in her sling and took in the sights. She wasn't so sure what she thought of all those people!

That night, after a big afternoon nap, we went to Brad's parents house for the actual party. There were TONS of people! Emma visited for a little while before bedtime. I was a little concerned because it was going to be a late night and I knew we were bringing her pack and play to put her to bed in. However, she has a very rigid schedule of rituals that we do before bed. I KNEW she was going to think it wasn't bedtime. I was right. It took her Daddy and I both rocking her (with no rocking chair!) to get her down. She slept for exactly 1 hour before waking back up. Luckily, that was enough time for her Daddy and I to enjoy a nice dinner and some Italian wine and dessert before she woke up. The best part is that she woke up in a GREAT mood. She was passed around most of the night without making a peep. She DID however, show a touch of "I want my mommy!" I was holding her and someone took her from me. She cried until I held her again and she stopped immediately! This might not seem like much, but usually, if she's very upset, it takes me rocking or nursing her to calm her. It was the very first time that just holding her calmed her. It made me feel like a million bucks.

Like I had predicted, it WAS a very late night. We got home late and got her in bed late, and her mood the next day proved that that was a bad idea. Oh well. Stuff happens!

On Monday we met Brad's family at Discover Mills for a date with Santa. It was Emma's cousin, Luke's first Santa visit and he did great! After he got his picture, we sat them both on Santa's lap. So cute! I'll scan the picture and post it as soon as I get a copy!

I went to a memorial service for a co-worker from Midvale yesterday. Emma's Daddy kept her while I was gone. He did a great job! He hasn't babysat by himself very much, mostly because when I leave and Emma's not with me, Brad is! My mom has kept her a bunch, but it was Daddy's turn. She "helped" him do some vacuuming and was a good girl.

Today she has seemed like she might be coming down with a little cold. Still not sure. She's coughing a little (a dry cough) and has sneezed some, but seems to feel great otherwise. We've been expanding her horizons with baby food. She LOVES pears, sweet potato, and carrots. She tolerates applesauce when it's mixed with something. Bananas are ok when mixed with something too, but when she eats them alone - GAG! She's so funny.

We've had a great day today. We had Joe (Brad's step brother) and his wife Fylicia and baby Luke over for dinner and a play date. Luke is 3 weeks older than Emma and a LOT bigger! He weighs 25 lbs and Emma is somewhere around 15! His little thigh rolls are just the cutest thing I've ever seen. They rolled around in the floor and had a great time. This was really the first time that they noticed each other and it was precious. Pardon the blur. Brad took the pictures and the lighting was bad!

Playing together - Luke's a bit handsy!

Emma decided to get him back! Chomp! (just kidding, there was no actual biting - but it DOES look like it!)

Checkin each other out!

Tomorrow we will be going to Holy Cross for the children's Christmas Eve mass. Last year I was pregnant with Emma and it was so hard to believe that I would have a 6 month old by the same time the next year. Christmas was such an emotional time. It's still hard to believe. I can't wait to dress her up in her Christmas dress and bring her to church. She loves the music, so I'm hoping she'll be a good girl and behave herself. We'll see!


Merry Christmas everyone!


No comments: