Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Super Quick Post!

I don't think I've EVER been as proud of my little girl as I have been today! Just yesterday I was mentioning to my mom that Emma still doesn't really babble using consonant sounds (a developmental milestone) and I was getting a little concerned. The special ed teacher in me sometimes takes over and sees things that aren't there and worries about anything that's not exactly on the "written in stone" timetable. I know I shouldn't be that way, but I can't help it.

Anyway, today she blew me away. I was feeding her Gerber Puffs - her favorite thing in the world, and I kept saying "do you want more?" I've been trying to teach her some baby signs, but never expected what came next. She said "more!" I thought, 'no way, I must be making more out of it than it is.' And then she did it again, and again! Appropriately!!!! She had been making the 'mmmmmm' sound all day, which was also a first. Later, she did it for Brad and my mom got to hear it over the phone two times - they can verify it - she said 'more'! And she ONLY says it when she wants another bite of food!!! Yea!!

As if that wasn't enough, she had another first tonight. We've been working on trying to get her to pick up some finger foods from her tray and put them in her mouth. Until today, she could occasionally get one in her hand from the tray, but it never made it into her mouth because she would get it stuck in her fist and not know how to open it to feed herself. Tonight Brad put some puffs on her tray after she ate her dinner and she picked one up in her fist, using a raking motion! It went straight to her mouth, she opened that little fist, and ate the puff!! She did it again and again - it was awesome!!!

Can you tell we're proud??

No comments: