Saturday, February 27, 2010

Zoo Atlanta

Today we got a great opportunity to go to the zoo! My mom's organization (Lekotek) was having an event there and we were able to go and take Emma. I even got to see one of my favorite kids from my class a few years ago! It was SO fun! We nearly froze to death, but it was a great time. It was 37 degrees when we got there, so we were very bundled up. Emma wore a footy-fleece set of jammies, a hat, and some mittens. I also had her bear suit (*see Snow Day post) in case it got that cold, but it didn't. She rode in her stroller for most of the trip, but got in the fleece sling when I felt like her face was getting too cold. She warmed right up and fell asleep! I think she enjoyed what she saw of the zoo.

I've got to say, while we had a great time, it was a bit of a disappointment because so many of the animals were inside because it was so cold. There were no monkeys, gorillas, rhinos, or tigers. We DID see the pandas, warthogs, a zebra, the flamingos, an elephant being trained (SO neat), lots of birds, the reptile house, naked mole rats (NASTY), and some meerkats. The best part was the elephant - the trainer was working with him. He would stretch his ears out, lift his feet one at a time, and run around in circles for treats. We also saw 2 really cool birds. I have NO recollection of what they were called, but they were so funny. They had several dead mice in their enclosure for lunch. They were SO proud of them! They each grabbed one and brought them right over to show off for us. It was SO cute! When we circled back around an hour or so later, they were STILL holding those mice and sitting near the fence to show off. Cuteness.

Here is a collage that I made. I found a new program and thought I'd try it. It was really easy, but not sure how well you can see the photos. It's worth a try! If you click on the picture, you can see it larger.
Tonight we went to my parents' house and they watched Emma while Brad and I went to have some Mexican food and a trip to Starbucks. We had a nice little date night. :) Tomorrow is off to Brad's parents' house for lunch. His mother offers to make lunch on the weekends, but between you and I, I know that it's really so that she can get her hands on my girl. :)

No comments: