Saturday, June 5, 2010

Helen, Part 2

After a pretty good night's sleep, we woke up and had a nice cup of coffee and some fresh strawberries for breakfast. Emma took a LONG (2.5 hour) morning nap. Daddy slept with her, while Mommy enjoyed a dip in the hot tub and checked her email.

When we all got up and ready, we went to Helen for lunch. We went to Hofer's, a German bakery and restaurant that Brad's always wanted to go to. There was a long line, which was a good sign, but not the best when you have an infant. However, Emma amazed us and was an angel. I got a reuben sandwich and Brad had the "wurst sampler." It was VERY good.


Emma had a first while we were at Hofer's - she pointed with her index finger for the first time!! She proceeded to do it all weekend, which is just precious. She also started to throw her goldfish in the floor for the first time ever. She's done it a couple of times since, and mommy's made sure to tell her a very stern "no ma'am" each time, which always causes tears, but makes an impact. I'm hoping to stop it before it gets to be a habit.

We left Hofer's and walked around downtown Helen. It was HOT and there were more people there than I've ever seen. I guess a lot of people had the same idea that we did. We stopped in a handmade toy store and bought Emma a "push duck." It's all wooden and the feet flap when you push it. I had one as a little girl and really wanted Emma to have her own.

We also HAD to stop by my favorite place in Helen - Hansel and Gretel's candy store. They make what I am certain is the best fudge in the world. Everyone who knows about Helen knows about the candy store. We stocked up (and got a box for my Dad too!). After we left the candy store, we stopped to see the horses that pull carriages. I have a HUGE issue with this, as far as animal rights goes, but figured that visiting with them might brighten their day. Emma wasn't sure what to think! She's never seen a horse before - that's one thing that the Yellow River Game Ranch DOESN'T have! She even got to feed Clyde a carrot.

Clyde


I thought this was the most gorgeous dog. He's half Corgi and half Australian Shepherd. Check out his left leg!

On our way back to the cabin we stopped at Fred's Peanut shop. When we parked and I was getting Emma out of the car I spotted a mom holding a baby with a Thirsties diaper cover - just like Emma wears! I made a fool of myself and ran over and struck up a conversation. It's amazing how excited you can get just to meet another cloth diapering mom! It was the first time I've ever met another mom who CDs! We swapped tips, diaper recommendations, and stories. Brad and her hubby were both talking about how much they love cloth diapering and how much cheaper it is than disposables. It was so cool!

Anyway, we bought some cajun roasted peanuts for Brad and a raspberry lemonade slush for me (did I mention it was HOT!?). After we had our fill of Helen we headed back to the cabin for a nap.

After naptime we got in the car and headed to Unicoi state park. Our cabin is about 2 miles from the park, so it was a quick drive. I really wanted Emma to be able to stick her feet in the river. We hunted forever before we found a good spot where we could get to the river. She LOVED it! She jumped and jumped and squished her feet in the sand at the edge of the water. It was so fun. It's amazing to see new things through Emma's eyes. We went down the slide that was nearby a few times before heading home.

I love this one. Not sure what they were looking at, but she's his little twin.


My goofy husband.

It was an awesome day. In the morning we were heading to Babyland General, where Cabbage Patch Kids are born. We must have worn her out because she slept all night!


No comments: