Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Good News!

Today's cardiologist appointment was SUCH a relief! Here's what happened. I was scheduled for a treadmill stress test. Mom and I got there and they hooked me up to the electrodes and did a quick EKG. At that point, my resting heart rate was 147. The nurse said "That's not normal girl!" She soon followed that with "I don't feel comfortable giving you this test. I don't want you to have a heart attack." She left to speak with the doctor to make sure it was safe and then told me that she was still uncomfortable being responsible. She found another nurse who WAS, and she performed the test. In the meantime, my heartrate went back and forth. At the lowest it was 129, 150 at the highest. Keep in mind, this was all while sitting down.

It's supposed to take you between 6-9 minutes of walking on the inclined treadmill to get your heart rate as high as they want it. It took me 4 and 1/2 minutes and they stopped just before I reached their max heart rate. I was winded because of the incline, but didn't have any other symptoms. My blood pressure stayed perfect the entire time, which was good. We then met with the doctor. He said that it doesn't appear that I have any arrhythmias (irregular heart beats or patterns) and that it seems that I just have a really fast heart rate while pregnant. He reassured me that it isn't doing any damage to Emma, and that my heart looks perfectly healthy and strong - just faster than it's supposed to be. He wants me to come back in mid-June to have another EKG and echocardiogram before I deliver. After that, he expects everything to go back to normal, but assured me that he'll be at Northside if I need him to be while I deliver, though he doesn't foresee any need. I'm SO relieved! So now it's onwards and upwards - less than 80 days left!!! On another great note - only 27 more school days!!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
congratulations! on your baby
I'm here with your mom at Lekotek.
Karen