Friday, February 13, 2009

20 Weeks

It's so hard to believe that today marks the 5 month point. Only 4 to go! It's been a hectic week at work and that, along with some raging pregnancy hormones, have definitely taken their toll on my spirits lately. My pelvic pain has been torture in the afternoons as well. It's painful to even walk, much less do anything productive. I find myself getting home and being so exhausted that I literally put on my pj's and hit the bed as soon as I walk in the door. It's a blessing that Brad doesn't mind doing housework because I'm useless these days.

On another note, I had a regular OB checkup yesterday with my favorite OB. He told me that the symphasis issue (the "too much relaxin, making my pubic bone and pelvic bones separate too much" issue) doesn't pose any danger to myself or to Emma. It's just really painful and there's absolutely nothing that I can do about it. I asked if he would expect it to get worse as the pregnancy progresses. He said that he's had patients that have hideous pain throughout, and those that have had their pain go away overnight. No way to tell. I'm praying for the latter! He said that it really gets fun when the baby springboards off of the top of the uterus and hits your pubic bone head-on. He said not to be alarmed if the pain brings me to my knees. Yea. Although I'd gladly go through any amount of pain and misery for this sweet little baby, I'd really rather not have to!

I also spoke with him at length about the golf ball-sized cyst on my ovary. If it remains relatively the same size until I deliver, one of 2 things will happen. If I have a c-section, he will remove the cyst at the same time. If I deliver au natural, I will go back 6 weeks later for laproscopic surgery. If I have the choice, I honestly think I'm going to choose a scheduled c-section. I know, I know, it's a more invasive and painful surgery with a longer recovery. However, if I have it done in early July, I will have Brad at home for 4 weeks to help me and a precious little baby to lift my spirits and get me out of bed faster. If I wait until she's 6 weeks old, Brad will be in the first few weeks of school and I'll be at home recovering and taking care of a new baby alone. Plus, if I have the laproscopic surgery, I'm looking at 2 recovery periods - one from the labor and delivery, and one from the surgery itself. It just seems like the lesser of the 2 evils to me. I may also be able to avoid the labor portion altogether, which sounds enticing. We'll see how it plays out. At this point it isn't sounding like the choice is something for me to make. We'll keep talking about it and see which path we are led down.

Until then, I'm enjoying my daily Emma kicks and squirms and still waiting for Brad to be able to feel them for himself!


3 comments:

CarolynCraddock said...

Susan,
We are just beyond thrilled for you guys! I feel like we are watching our own journey in replay sometimes when I read about your feelings and thoughts on this little one entering into the world! I remember feeling like it was too good to be true and even when my head was deep in the toilet... I was praising Jesus for the gift of life inside me that I had so long prayed for!! We know you both will be phenomenal parents and a little girl is such a gift to the world! You will be amazed at how much you love her! We love little Emma so much already and will continue to pray for you guys as you complete this journey to having this little princess enter into your life full force! And don't worry.. c sections... not that bad.. you can do it! I say if you have the choice, go for the scheduled time when Brad will be home... I truly feel that is the best option! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan I love reading your posts. I am so sorry you hurt. I remeber having jenny and running down the halls the next day with a vag delivery. The c section with the twins was AWFUL . I couldn't move for a week and wasn't myself for atleast 6. A laporoscopy is very easy to recover from Just a little incision often in you navel. Very little Down time You have to decide whats best for you but if your a okay for a vag delivery thats what I would do after experiencing both. I love you so Much!!! Nancy

Anonymous said...

Ps Hang in there we are praying for you. Don't forget to get some good tummy pictures .Wish I had. I can't wait to hold the little angel. Take care or yourself