Monday, August 31, 2009

10 Weeks Old

We're into the double digits now and I'm not happy about it. Times moving WAY too fast for my taste. Emma's growing up and changing so much each week that I just can't believe it. She's SO precious. She's gotten really interactive and loves to flash me huge grins when she wakes up. She's such a happy baby.

Her baptism was on Saturday. It was a great day. We had her baptized at Holy Cross Catholic Church at 4:00 PM and then had dinner at home for everyone - Honeybaked Ham, baked beans, deviled eggs, potato salad, cake, and punch. We had such a great time!

Emma wasn't too happy about getting dressed in her gown. Getting dressed in general isn't her favorite thing, but getting dressed in a scratchy, lacey, double layered gown was her worst nightmare. She cooperated for the most part and was an absolute angel during the ceremony. She didn't cry once - even when the deacon poured the holy water over her head. She was so well behaved. There was only one down-side to the baptism. She was anointed with 2 oils during the ceremony - the oil of catechumens and the oil of chrism. Don't ask me to explain the difference - I'm sure I have that knowledge, just no idea where I've stored it! Anyway, the oil of chrism has a very strong smell. Everyone in our baptism class told us that it smells wonderful. They were wrong! Poor Emma has smelled like some strange old lady's perfume for 2 days now! I've scrubbed her little head in the bathtub every night and can't lose the smell. I guess it has to wear off. It's definitely a lighter smell now, but wow. It stinks!

She was wearing her Daddy's baptism gown, a religious medal from her Great-Grandma Claire, and a baby ring that was made from her Grandmother's (Brad's mom) engagement ring that was worn on a gold chain and cross that was her Great-Grandma Claire's. She wore an heirloom bonnet that her Grammy (my mom) bought her. It was one that turns into a handkerchief that she will carry at her wedding. She was also wearing precious satin booties - she was SO cute!

Emma's Godparents are my Aunt Barbara and Uncle Tim. They are also my Godparents. We were so honored that they agreed to be her Godparents. They happen to live in our neighborhood and Emma gets to see them a lot. She loves them both! It also worked out very well that Barbara knows her so well - Emma got a little squirmy during the baptism and Barbara knew exactly how to keep her happy. It was perfect.

We don't have any big plans this week. Just catching up on some housework and grocery shopping. Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the baptism, along with a link to some others.









With my parents and Emma's Godparents, my Aunt Barbara and Uncle Tim



My best friend Amber



No comments: