Monday, August 17, 2009

8 Weeks

It's official - I have a 2 month old. She's changing so much that I can hardly keep up! She's definitely a "mama's girl" these days. She wants me to hold her and entertain her constantly - most times Daddy just doesn't "do." I must admit - I'm pretty happy to hold and entertain her all the time too. :) I must also admit, I miss being able to take a shower without Brad coming in with Emma because she's crying. She must miss the 9 months we spent in the shower rocking out with my ipod up loud - she stops crying the instant he comes in the room with her. I'm able to do a little house work here and there with her in the baby sling. It's better than nothing, but I'm starting to feel like the list of things I have to do is way longer than the list of things I've done. I guess it's the beginning of a vicious cycle. On the plus side, I don't have to get up at 6:00 and go to work anymore! I can even stay in my pj's all day if I want....not to brag or anything ;)

She's cooing up a storm, but mostly for Daddy. He can start talking to her and making noises and she "talks" right back - who knew a 2 month old could carry on a conversation?? She's also drooling up a storm. After reading about her development in her 2nd month I have figured out why - she's learning to salivate and swallow and she's producing more saliva than she knows how to swallow. Nasty, but it makes sense!

She's also hit a rough patch with sleeping. I'm praying that it's temporary and really think that it is. We've tried to keep her normal schedule on weekends as well, but we were out and about quite a bit this weekend and her sleeping schedule has paid for it dearly. Last night she was up every single hour. NO fun! She also refused a morning nap. I can usually count on a good 2 1/2 - 3 hour nap and I sleep with her. This morning she slept for 30 minutes and refused to go back down. This afternoon was a touch better. I swaddled her, turned on the fan, and turned out the lights, just like I always do. I fed her and she usually goes RIGHT to sleep. Today she fell asleep and woke right up when I put her down. 3 more rounds later, I gave up, unwrapped her, and put her on the bed next to me on her belly (I know, I know) with a paci in her mouth and she was OUT. She slept for a good hour and a half and as I type this, she's being fussy again - a sure sign she's still sleepy.

I'm hoping and praying for a better night tonight! Mom thinks she'll pass out from sheer exhaustion. I think she's right. We don't really have any big plans this week. I'm waiting for Brad to get ready right now to go have dinner with some friends. A couple of my previous students and their moms and I get together fairly often for dinner and this time Miss Emma's coming! I'm hoping that she sleeps through most of it, or stays awake and pleasant through it and sleeps tonight - I'll take either one!

I have been remiss in picture taking this past week. It's fairly hard to take photos while you're HOLDING the subject! I'll try to snap some later this week and post them when I do.



No comments: