Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Abby's Baptism

This past Saturday we had the honor of having Abigail Marie baptized in our church.  It was a wonderful day full of family and friends and we were so blessed to have them all there with us.  Abby was an absolute angel.  She didn't mind the big, uncomfy dress too much.  She wore Brad's christening gown, my grandmother's cross necklace, and on the necklace, she wore a baby ring that Brad's mother had made from one of her rings.  My mom also gave her a special bib that was blessed by Pope Benedict.  It was so special to have all sides of her family represented.  



It was a very emotional day for me.  The last time that we attended a baptism at Holy Cross, it was Emma's.  My Dad was there with us, as was Brad's Grandaddy.  My Dad's absence was so painful for me.  It was never more obvious that when the deacon traced the sign of the cross on Abby's forehead, and invited all who felt compelled to do the same.  My Dad should have been right there.  It hurt more than words can possibly express.  I miss him daily, but there are certain moments when it sneaks up on me and hits me like a bus.  That whole day was filled with those moments.  He would have ADORED Abby, just as he adored Em.  He would love to hear all of the crazy things Emma says these days.  He would have cracked up when, as the Deacon was about to pour water over Abby's head, Emma shouted "Abby takin a bath!"  He would have thought it was hysterical when she completed the sign of the cross with the Deacon.  "Father, Son, and Holy Spiwit."  Precious.




We were so blessed that Brad's Aunt Elaine and Uncle George honored us by becoming Abby's godparents.  She adores them already!  They drove all the way from the southern tip of Florida to be with us, and it meant the world.  

After the baptism we headed home to celebrate with cake and punch.  There's a funny story behind the cake.  I have bad luck at Publix with baptism cakes.  Emma's had to be completely remade on the morning of her baptism because they made it orange instead of pink.  It was SO ugly!  Well, I went to pick up Abby's and noticed that it read "God Bless AbiGALI Marie."  I just about died.  Had it said Emma's nickname for her, "Abigwail," I would have let it go.  But Abigali had to go.  They were able to remove the wrong letters and fix it, but you could still tell.  I think I've learned my lesson with Publix.  It sure did taste good though!


After most of our guests had left, Amber, Jason, and their daughter, Quinn, stayed and we got to visit.  We don't see them nearly often enough.  We had Mexican for dinner and they left just before the girls went to bed.  It was an awesome day that we will never forget.  

No comments: