Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Girl Bed



Bye-bye, crib!

Prisoner #5519 made her escape on Saturday afternoon. Brad was at the mechanic getting my car fixed and I was getting Abby down for her nap. Emma was SUPPOSED to be sleeping when I heard a loud crash and then hysterical crying. I ran in her room to find Emma, and all of her earthly belongings on the floor. She was freaked out. I got her calmed down, put all of her stuffed animals and blankets back in the bed and did what any good mom would do. I called my mom! She and I both hoped that her little fall was enough to scare her into not becoming a repeat offender. She suggested putting some blankets or pillows around the crib in case she fell again. That sounded like a plan. I called Brad to tell him what had happened, as I was watching Emma on the video monitor. Guess what I saw? Yep. #5519 chucked every single thing out of her bed and hiked one leg up over the side. I ran in there in time to stop her halfway in, halfway out. It also scared the crap out of her!

She made the decision for me. As soon as Brad got home, he dismantled her crib and brought in the toddler bed. I got it off of Craigslist several months ago for about $30, in anticipation of her needing it. I was so glad! We put her down in her big girl bed for her afternoon nap. We used the "supernanny technique" to get her to stay in bed. The first time she got up we went in and put her back in bed telling her "it's night time. Stay in your bed and go night night." The second (and each consecutive time) out of bed, you just put her back in, no eye contact, no talking. We probably had to put her back in bed 6-7 times, but she eventually fell asleep and slept almost 2 hours! Last night was even better - only had to put her back twice. Twice again for her naps today too. I'm sure that any day now she'll be a pro and just stay in bed. I'm SOOOO proud!!


Emma cooked in her kitchen with Abby while Daddy took down the crib.



I told her that she was about to take a nap in her big girl bed. I guess she assumed we weren't going to give her a mattress!




She had a little "funny" last night. At about 1:00AM we were about to head to bed (had a late night). I got Brad to check on Em in the monitor. He told me that she was out of bed but not moving. It looked like she was praying. Sure enough, I went in and found her like this.



SO cute! I put her back in her bed and covered her up. Around 5:30 when Abby woke to eat, Brad checked again. She was in the floor asleep. When he looked again, she had put herself back in the bed! I guess we have a little sleepwalker! The funniest thing was that she did this all silently.


Today we went to Target to get her some toddler bedding. They had Disney Princesses, Minnie Mouse, and Yo Gabba Gabba (her 3 favorite things right now). As you can see from her pictures, she ADORES YGG, and I thought it would be the best choice. She already has the pillow pals to go with it. What did she choose? Minnie Mouse. I'll admit, I'm not a very big Disney fan. I tried and tried to get her to change her mind, but no dice. So of course we ended up with Minnie Mouse! It's in the wash right now, so that she can sleep with it tonight. She's so excited! I'll take a picture of the final project as soon as I can.

No comments: