Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nesting

It's been so nice to have a little more free time than usual on our hands. I've been able to do quite a bit of nesting that I really just haven't had the time for so far. I've already washed her clothes through 3 months, and all of her bedding and other "accessories." Her car seat is ready to go (Brad is planning to install it and have it checked out this week). This weekend Brad was able to assemble her pack and play and her swing. I know it's probably jumping the gun a little, but I have good reasoning.

I really don't want Lucy to think that her WHOLE world is changing when Emma gets here. She's been our baby for a few years now and she's about to become our first born - we refer to Emma as her baby sister! Brad and I have already planned ways to include her and to never make her feel like any of her house is off limits. She's allowed in the nursery, will still be sleeping in the bed with us, and will be allowed to "check Emma out" as much as she wants to (luckily, she's never been a licker, just a sniffer!). I don't want there to be any chance of resentment. I really wanted the pack and play and swing to be in the living room now so that she can get used to them. She has checked both out and doesn't seem too freaked out yet - I'm sure that will change once there's a crying baby in them!

Tomorrow we're going to start packing "the bag." Brad has had several nightmares so far that involve me going into labor and there being no "bag" so I'm going to go ahead and start packing to ease his fears.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to include or not to include, other than the usual things that you hear about? I'm all ears!

Thursday we have an ultrasound to check her size and a checkup. I'm excited because I can't wait to see what she's weighing in at these days. I know that for 35 weeks she should be a little over 5 lbs and around 18-19 inches. The last ultrasound that we had showed that she was in the 66th percentile for height and weight - quite a bit bigger than we were expecting. I can't wait to see how much she's grown! After this next appointment I start going weekly. By the end of this party, I will OWN the parking deck!


Here's Emma's Pack and Play. It has a changing table (on left) and a "newborn napper" on the right. It also has cool features - a night light, vibration, and several music and sound settings.

This is the Pack and Play with the canopy removed (I think I like it better off).

This is her swing. I think it's called the "little lamb." See the ears?
It also has lots of features - lots of music and speed settings and nature sounds.

I swear this is the SOFTEST thing I've ever felt!


1 comment:

CarolynCraddock said...

Best advice on what to bring is this:

When going into labor it is good to have your mind off things... so bring some funny DVD's. The Office season three and four were great distractions for me when the contractions were rolling along...

Also I would suggest bringing some hard candies to suck on... I snuck them when my mouth was getting dry cause they are nazis about drink and food once you go into labor... If I think of anything else I will let you know... I was so drugged and fevered up I don't remember a lot... but those two thing were great to have!