Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thrush

Brad, Emma and I ventured out to my OB's office this morning for my appointment. Emma was an angel. She slept through the whole thing. True to form, we had to wait a full hour past my appointment time to be seen, but it was a great and informative visit. The doctor confirmed that it IS in fact thrush. She was able to identify it right away, which made me feel better.

She said that we all apparently have small amounts of yeast on our bodies naturally. They search for warm, moist locations to grow. When I got a cracked nipple when I first started to breast feed (sorry if it's TMI!) the yeast decided to have a party. Once it started to grow in my milk ducts, it spread to Emma. On the plus side, I don't have to take any more medications to clear it up - just have to keep using her prescription topically. If it got much worse before we started to be treated, it could have developed into mastitis. It's still a possibility, but not likely.

Emma was so great at the appointment that we decided to make a quick stop at Babies R Us to buy her a swing. The one that we have is SO fast that it's a little scary for me AND for her. Mom and Dad bought one for their house that she LOVES, so we had to get the same one. They had it on sale, so we stopped in. She slept through that trip too! I nursed her in the car and then we headed home. She slept the whole way home and then ate again while Brad and I had Chick-Fil-A. It's amazing the things that you learn to do one-handed!

As I type this Emma is asleep cuddled up next to me, touching. We were able to get a one hour nap this afternoon, but after an hour she decided that she had to be touching me in order to not scream. She's getting to be a mama's girl already - not sure if it's a good thing or not! We had a rough night. She slept most of yesterday afternoon and ALL evening, deciding to wake up around midnight. We got a total of 4 hours of sleep and then had to get up early for the doctor. We're hoping she sleeps a little better tonight after such a full day. Keeping our fingers crossed!


No comments: